LOOKNorth is a Centre for Commercialization and Research (CECR). The CECR program was created under Canada`s Science and Technology Strategy in 2007 and is jointly administered by Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) and the Canadian Institutes for Health Research (CIHR). The goal of the CECR program is to create internationally recognized centers of commercialization and research in priority areas in order to deliver economic, social and environmental benefits to Canadians.
LOOKNorth is hosted by C-CORE, an international leader in research and development. C-CORE is a non-for-profit corporation associated with Memorial University, which provides R&D advisory services and technology solutions to natural resource and other industries nationally and internationally. As host, C-CORE ensures LOOKNorth’s good governance and program implementation in accordance with the CECR funding agreement and program guide. C-CORE’s Board of Directors adheres to a conflict of interest policy to ensure impartiality and objectivity in the governance of LOOKNorth.
Board of Directors
The C-CORE/LOOKNorth Board of Directors is accountable for the operations of LOOKNorth as a CECR. They approve all aspects of LOOKNorth’s operations, including LOOKNorth’s budget, the terms of reference for the Advisory Committee, technology validation project funding decisions, the process for undertaking environmental assessments, the conflict of interest policy, and ensure compliance in meeting the CECR funding agreement and CECR program guide obligations.
A listing of the Board members can be found here.
To aid in the management and oversight of LOOKNorth, the organization enlists an advisory committee made up of key funding members, and representatives from the targeted industry sectors, research community and Northern Stakeholders. Responsibilities of the Advisory Committee include oversight of the key programs, recommendation of technology validation projects being funded, environmental assessment process, and communications plan. They inform and report to the Board of Directors.
Members of the LOOKNorth Advisory Committee are:
- Charles Randell, Chair (C-CORE, St. John’s)
- Chantal Abou Debs, Observer (Networks of Centres of Excellence of Canada, Ottawa)
- Soheil Asgarpour, Member (Petroleum Technology Alliance of Canada, Calgary)
- Tom Hoefer, Member (NWT & NU Chamber of Mines, Yellowknife)
- Joseph Tam, Member (Research & Development Corporation of Newfoundland & Labrador, St. John’s)
The positions staffed in LOOKNorth are:
- Executive Director, Paul Adlakha
- Program Director, Stephen Churchill
- R&D Manager, Neil Cater
- Business Development Manager (Ottawa), Dennis Nazarenko
- Business Development Manager (Calgary), Mark Fawcett
- Northern Analyst, Harry Borlase
- Communications & Outreach Lead, Deirdre Greene
- Lead Researcher, Igor Zakharov
- Financial Manager, Sheila Bartlett
- Administrative Assistant, Tina Carrell